&t Phil on Games: HyperSpin Project: Atari 2600 (and Spiderman!) <$BlogMetaData$;

Thursday, January 3, 2013

HyperSpin Project: Atari 2600 (and Spiderman!)



Continuing work on my HyperSpin project, I finally completed implementation of all the Atari 2600 games. I fired up Pitfall 2, River Raid, Dark Chambers, Gyruss, and several others. Countless hours of my childhood were spent playing these games, and I consider it to have the largest impact in shaping my obsession with video games as an adult. There are so many memories packed into these games; I wish kids today could appreciate these gems despite the graphics being ugly as sin (don't get me wrong, a lot of the games back then were really terrible too).

There are still a ton of games with relevant gameplay lessons on the 2600, especially with the rise of the "quick snack" games on our smartphones. Most of these games were only controlled with a single stick and one button, and still manage to deliver a fun experience. I would argue that the Atari 2600 version of Superman is still the best video game representation of the character to date!

...........One more commercial, because this one is a gem!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home