&t Phil on Games: Transformers... roll out! <$BlogMetaData$;

Monday, March 4, 2013

Transformers... roll out!


I finally got around to playing Transformers: War for Cybertron, and am kicking myself for waiting so long to play it. As a kid, I was a HUGE fan of the cartoon, and the last three movies, while a departure from the universe the cartoon established, are guilty pleasures of mine.  The game somehow manages to mash the cartoon and movie universes together and find its own footing.

Visually and audibly, the team has pulled off some amazing level and character design. The entire game manages to have a unique look that is noticeably darker in tone than the other takes on the franchise, but is still instantly recognizable as a Transformers product.  I’m about ¾ of the way through, and there have been multiple times that I've been blown away by what I've seen. The use of scale is pulled off without a hitch, making you feel like you’re a totally huge, bad-ass robot that’s going around blowing stuff up… and then they introduce Omega Supreme, who flips the script on you and instantly makes you feel like a little ant trying to stop the inevitable boot from squashing you. And the voice acting is top notch, complimenting a script that you just know the voice actors had a ton of fun bringing to life as you hear them execute their lines flawlessly.

The gameplay doesn't do anything new or amazing, but it is solid and simple fun. Run, jump, aim, shoot, and repeat. Oh yeah, and transform to drive or fly around! I think the inclusion of the ability to play as different Transformers is somewhat needless unless you are playing together with a friend (which I haven’t been), but it doesn't detract from single player experience in any way that I've noticed. If I had one complaint, it’s that I still have no idea why I’m collecting little bits of glowing shards from defeated enemies; it was either never explained to the player, and /or isn't obvious enough what the benefit of doing so is. Again, it doesn't really hurt anything, but makes me wonder why this was included at all, beyond the fact that other games have a similar “feature”.

So I chalk this game up to a very good purchase, especially since I got it a few months ago during a sale on Steam for $5! I’m really looking forward to playing the other two titles, even though I heard the second title isn’t quite up to snuff compared to the 1st and 3rd. With giant robots fighting each other to the death, you can’t go terribly wrong, right?

3 Comments:

At April 13, 2013 at 4:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do уou have any viԁеo of thаt? I'd like to find out some additional information.

Also visit my homepage :: bramka sms play

 
At May 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! You some type of skilled? Nice message.
Can you inform me how you can subscribe your weblog?



Have a look at my page: how to increase chances of getting pregnant

 
At June 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I
also am a blogger, and I was wondering about your
situation; we have developed some nice practices and we are
looking to exchange techniques with others, why not drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

Review my site: proper golf swing ()

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home